I have made a decision to build a temporary barrier on the border with the Kaliningrad Oblast (Russian enclave bordering with Poland-ed.) , said Polish Minister of Defense, Deputy Prime Minister Mariusz Błaszczak at the press conference.
Deputy Prime Minister and head of the Ministry of National Defense, Mariusz Błaszczak, announced at a press conference on Wednesday that due to the launch of flights from the Middle East and North Africa to Kaliningrad, he decided to take measures to strengthen security on the Polish border with the Kaliningrad Oblast “by sealing it”.
– Therefore, the work undertaken by the engineers of the Polish Army on the construction of a temporary barrier on the border with the Kaliningrad Oblast will begin today, Błaszczak informed. As he added, the decision that it would be done by the Ministry of National Defense was made during a meeting of the Committee for Security and Defense Affairs of the Council of Ministers.
– Our task is to ensure the security of Poland. Work begins today. The temporary barrier will consist of three rows of razor wire, three meters wide and 2.5 meters high, said the head of the Ministry of National Defense, Mariusz Błaszczak, at the Wednesday press conference. – A fence will also be erected from the Polish side to protect the animals – said Błaszczak.
As he added, “parallel work will be carried out on the establishment of perimetry, i.e. devices that will allow electronic surveillance of the border with the Kaliningrad Oblast”. – Without waiting for this process, we decided to build a temporary barrier – he stressed.
Barrier with Belarus. Migrant crisis
A permanent steel barrier had already stood on the border with Belarus, through which migrants have been trying to get through since the middle of last year. Electronic firewall is being installed. Maciej Wąsik, Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs and Administration, informed in recent days that the first 35-kilometer section of the electronic barrier will be commissioned after November 11, and the entire section is to be ready and commissioned by the end of November.
There are fears, that Russia might try to orchestrate a migrant crisis on yet another Polish border, trying to discourage the country from its support to Ukraine.
- More News from Poland on our Homepage.
- Sign up to our Newsletter to receive a weekly recap and stay informed about current events in Poland
- Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook.